Tips for essay
- if you quote people as saying – back up who it is.
- substanciate claims
Genre & Audience
- genre – catagory – way of organsing – systematic way of thinking
- genre – dispalces subjective criticism
- genre – encourages examination of converntions that structure work
- genre – works to establish in the mind of the viewer something about the kind of image it is
Demystifying rules of genre
- changing the context
- looking at the advertisment posters for films
- looking at famous images of differnt genres and seeing that they could fit into other genres
Should photography be considered as an art from.
- anyone can do it
- in paintings you have to have the skills to use the material
- no actual skill involved, much of it is right place at the right time
- “if the more or less unsightly and impossible caracatures which some photographer turn out and call them pictures are artistic then photography is not are, the camera is the truthful if minipulation is not resorted to and what is art but truth?”
- “photography is not art. Its not even an art. Art the expression of the concetion of an idea, photography is the plastic varification of a fact.” – writings on art, by Manray
- photography is dependant on art – preacher on the history of painting
- documentary photography states everyday life and therefore if you clasify it as art the you classify everything in everyday life as art.
- “It just looks stupid when a photograph is framed or backlit and displayed vertically in an exhibition, in the way paintings have traditionally been shown. A photograph in a gallery is a flat, soulless, superficial substitute for painting.” – there isn’t the life that there is to the motion of the paint and the texture of a paint – Jones — an art critic — wrote back in November, titled, “Flat, soulless and stupid: why photographs don’t work in art galleries”
- its a record not something, it doesn’t give you anything more than what is infront of you.
- “Photography is not an art. It is a technology. We have no excuse to ignore this obvious fact in the age of digital cameras, when the most beguiling high-definition images and effects are available to millions. My iPad can take panoramic views that are gorgeous to look at. Does that make me an artist? No, it just makes my tablet one hell of a device.” – Johnathan Jones
- take this cup for example. Any of you can take a photograph of it that makes it look like the cup, but not nesserialy all of use can draw/paint a picture of it that till looks exactly like it.
- with the digital age it has turned into a science and not an art from.
Since we cannot comfirm any photographic truth, photography should not be used as evidence that something happened
- crime photography is used in a court of law, therefore if it was deamed ineffective, it wouldn’t be used
- can be taken by anyone – evidence in a fight etc.
- you can comfirm photographic truth because of meta data of an image
- “crucial for the invatestigation and juditional proceedings.”
- if photographs are minipuatated it can be easily seen and identified.